Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Veterans: Have we lost appreciation for their sacrifice?

There was a very important Letter to the Editor in The Auroran (page 8) this week from a lady disappointed by the poor turn out for the"Candlelight Service" to honour our veterans. She asks the question; where were you?

She rightly points out the sacrifice made by the many who served and died so that we enjoy the freedoms we have today.

With TV and video, we have more exposure to the conflict in the world today than ever before -- and therefore a greater understanding.

One has to wonder;
  • Are schools teaching?
  • Are parents teaching?
  • Are grandparents sharing?
  • Are children listening?
If we don't learn from our past, are we destined to repeat the mistakes in the future?

Something to think about more often that November 11th each year.

What can we do to make sure that future generations have a "real" understanding of the cost of our freedom?

Use the envelope and pencil icons immediately below to forward this post to friends or leave a comment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly.

we have a generation now that speaks more to their "rights" than their responsibilities.

they have no concept of the debt that is owed to so many who have gone before.

thank-you for remembering...

Anonymous said...

I am a mid-40's male and while I have never been to war, I have served my country as a reservist in my younger days. My father was a reservist in the same unit as was his father. Prior to his father being a reservist, he enlisted in a unit of the Canadian Expedionary Force and was shipped to Belgium and France. He came to this country in 1900 from Northern England and he felt it was his duty to fight for it in 1914. He served in Passchendale (probably spelled wrong - sorry) and Vimy Ridge. He was shot in the left arm at Vimy as well as gassed. He was returned to Canada on a hospital ship and discharged.

He passed away when I was 6 years old.

A couple of years ago, my daughter had a project at her school (Highview PS). She was to bring in any pictures of relatives that served in Canada's armed forces. I gave her blown up copies of pictures of her great-grandfather as well as copies of his medals that he received. These pictures were displayed at the school around November of that year.

This year, while in the same school, I see that there was a "Wall of Remebrance" there. On that wall is the picture of my grandfather. Taken when he was 72 years old - soon after I was born.

Back in my home town in the amoury's Sergents Mess, there is a picture of him and listed his military service. Highview has a picture of him, as I most remember him. I hope that the wall stays there for a long time.